Abril 2011, Viva Nuevo Mexico I

Skiing and mountain literature, photos, and innovative media
skykilo
olikyks
from Santa Fe

Abril 2011, Viva Nuevo Mexico I

Post by skykilo »

Southwest bumped me from a flight in Phoenix and I spent the night there instead of going sleepless and hitting the Coleman Headwall with Ryan and Eric on my free Friday. But I still had a great weekend and saw an epic sunset from the Santa Fe ski area Sunday evening after my flight home.

Then I had a trip to Chicago the next weekend for some meetings. I got a nice run off Lake Fork Peak above Taos Ski Valley "on my way" to the Sunport.

My next missed flight was my fault but that didn't make it feel better. I had myself a free day in Chicago.

Naomi joined me in New Mexico for an extended working vacation.

The after-work basalt is prime.

There are so many nice overhangs.

Beautiful cracks.

This is a fun-filled 5.8+.

It's been an exceptionally-dry winter in an already arid climate but there's still snow to ski.

That's Lake Fork Peak in the background.

Aspect is everything as far as snow on these mountains. That's a 13,000+-ft peak.

Still plenty of places to ski even in a lame spring.

This is the view toward Taos from above Williams Lake.

As dry as everything was, I was still skiing wind-packed powder on this north-facing aspect.

This chute was great.

The chute is the one on the left on the peak at the head of the basin. Naomi didn't join me for the top because of a nagging knee injury and feeling the altitude.

We've had a great time pushing the climbing over the last week. More to come....