slot couloir

Skiing and mountain literature, photos, and innovative media
danhelmstadter
voluntary admission

slot couloir

Post by danhelmstadter »

I've had a rough start to the ski year, amongst my bad luck, a sprained ankle... but it seems to be better now.

I'm currently in the middle of a wil-fir course that meets 8 hours a day for 10 back to back days except for today , I lucked out with the weather -- even though sunshine didn't bless snoqualime pass today, a day which was forecasted as to be mostly sunny... the wind was only bitter for the last part of the summit ridge, and while many surrounding peaks drifted in and out of obscurity, snoqualmie mtn was spared.

There was some reactive slabyness on the upper south slopes, but the north faceing slot couloir had bed skiied recently, so the bulk of windlabs had already been chopped up... The slot held mostly variable -- rain crust to chop to slabby"pow" to sweet powder on the aprun. I skiied up then down and out as it got dark. It was my first time skiing snoqualmie pass, I hope to return many times, such great access and terrain.

My camera's busted so i'm going oldschool with my tr, i'll even sighn my name like they did on tay back in 03

dan helmstadter
Last edited by danhelmstadter on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

skykilo
olikyks
from Santa Fe

Re: slot couloir

Post by skykilo »

those ssslabs can be fffunky. dave and i did the slot on xmas eve and those snoqualmie ss slabs had me thinking for a step or two. glad you were able to get out there and happy new year and get yer stankin' ass up here to bc before i move eh?

-skykilo

(or i'll be in wa to visit soon so long as you answer when i holler!)

Jason Hummel

Post by Jason Hummel »

Nice. We got first tracks on Saturday....such good snow out there right now.

danhelmstadter
voluntary admission

Post by danhelmstadter »

getting my passport/dl soon Sky!

Jason, you got first tracks in the slot on saturday?! I'd like to ski that thing again with better snow.

skykilo
olikyks
from Santa Fe

Post by skykilo »

danhelmstadter wrote:getting my passport/dl soon Sky!
Glad to hear it, Dan. I have less than two months left in Candyland. We should schralp some steep pow. My first time to ski a peak in Canada was with you on Wedge. Let's put a bookend on it.